location: Melbourne | job type: Senior Data Architect | salary range: $120,000- $150,000 | job type: Full -Time
This position is responsible for analysis, architecture, and design of complete big data solutions, including data acquisition, storage and transformation. A solid understanding of infrastructure planning, scaling, and administration considerations that are unique to big data products is also required. Candidates must have a broad set of technology skills across these areas and be able to demonstrate an ability to apply big data solutions to big data problems and learn quickly as the platform grows.
Primary Job Responsibilities:
- Design and architect a data platform over Big Data Technologies.
- Lead innovation be exploring, investigating and benchmarking data centric technologies and provide recommendations for their use in creative data solutions.
- Analyse and design Big Data solutions, with built-in accelerators, analytics and visualisation tools that get business results quickly.
- Understand the predictive modeling process and mind set through support work with modelers. A plus would be exposure to third-party partners and customers (insurance companies).
- Extensive experience with the Hadoop stack (e.g. MapReduce, Sqoop, Pig, Hive, Hbase, Flume)
- Use high-scale distributed RDBMS (Teradata, Netezza, Greenplum, Aster Data, Vertica) in architecting data solutions.
- Experience and use of ETL (Extract-Transform-Load) tools (e.g Informatica), and BI tools in reporting data solutions.
- Working knowledge of big data capabilities in languages like java, SAS, python, or perl.
Knowledge, Skills and Competencies:
IT Industry Knowledge
- Maintain a solid understanding of the initiatives and drivers for big data.
- Maintain a broad industry perspective on relevant best practices for creative data solutions.
- Understanding of governance process, prioritisation and best practices in big data technology.
- Understanding of how best to measure success with regard to data warehouses, marts, data provisioning, mining, profiling, DQ, ETL, integration, streaming, distributed DBMS.
- Establish strong working relationships with the business and IT partners.
- Create and maintain strong formal and informal lines of communication approaching issues with an ability to assess quickly and respond with a sense of urgency.
- Use active listening to understand business needs and recommend the appropriate solutions.
- Demonstrate ability to work in a team environment and foster collaboration.
- Inspire a sense of urgency with regard to data design solutions and develop support and a culture of quick problem assessment and resolution.
- Create a focus on high service and solution orientation.
- Bachelor’s Degree (required) or Master’s Degree (preferred)
- Over all 8 to 10 years of experience with data architecture
- Passion for Big Data technologies and a flexible, creative approach to problem solving
- Solid track record of building large scale systems utilising Big Data Technologies
- Strong understanding of Big Data Analytics platforms and ETL in the context of Big Data
- Proven technical leadership and communication skills
- Excellent problem solving skills
- Strong influencing and negotiation skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- High service orientation and ability to measure delivery and implementation success
- Ability to understand a problem from multiple perspectives and different points of view
Data Talent is exclusively focused on Business Intelligence, Business Performance Management, Data Warehouse & Big Data Recruitment across Australia. We are committed to your personal and professional career development.